10/11/2011

both/neither/either

Both indicates two out of two ('ambos' in Spanish).

Neither indicates zero out of two (ninguno de los dos).

Either indicates one out of a group of two (cualquiera  de los dos).

These words can be used in the following ways.

Both can be used with a plural noun. Either and Neither are used with singular nouns.

Both students can take the test.   (Ambos estudiantes pueden hacer el examen.)
Neither student can take the test.   (Ninguno de los estudiantes puede hacer el examen.)
Either student can take the test.   (Uno/culaquiera de los dos estudiantes puede hacer el examen.)

Both can be used with two nouns connected with and. Both Jack and John live in Chicago.

Neither can be used with two nouns connected with nor. Neither Jack nor John live in Chicago.

Either can be used with two nouns connected with or. Either Jack or John lives in Chicago.
NOTICE:  I don't like either  John or Jack>>> I like neither of them = I don't like either of them.


You can use these words with the preposition "of" before plural nouns or object pronouns.

Both of them can do it.
Either of them can do it
Neither of them can do it.

Now click HERE for further practice.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dulce,
    I'm Leo, Angelina's friend. Your blog is very interesting. I'd like practice three o four times in e week. Thank you very much for your blog. I want to improve my english. I'm a teacher and I need to get the FIRST CERTIFICATE. I passed the PET test on July.
    Is Intermediate 1 a good level for me?
    Bye

    ReplyDelete